James Faulkner left the PSL 2022 midway due to payment issues with the PCB, saying that the PCB hasn’t paid him the contractually agreed payments & has continuously lied to him. James Faulkner didn’t show up in the last three matches of Quetta Gladiators & has been agitated over the matter.
Faulkner has been negotiating with the PCB over his payment dues for a few days now. But the things turned out to be so ugly on Friday that Faulkner threw his bat & helmet from the lobby floor balcony into the chandelier after having a discussion with the PCB Official before leaving for the airport. Earlier today he posted two tweets on his official Twitter handle to apologize to Pakistan Cricket fans & called his treatment by PCB & the PSL “disgraceful”.
“I apologize to the Pakistan cricket fans. But unfortunately, I’ve had to withdraw from the last 2 matches and leave the @thePSLt20 due to the @TheRealPCB not honoring my contractual agreement/payments. I’ve been here the whole duration and they have continued to lie to me. It hurts to leave as I wanted to help to get international cricket back in Pakistan as there is so much young talent and the fans are amazing. But the treatment I have received has been a disgrace from the @TheRealPCB and @thePSLt20. I’m sure you all understand my position.”
The PCB issued a brief statement claiming that they had “regretfully taken note of Mr. James Faulkner’s false and misleading accusations” & that the board would release a detailed statement shortly.
The PCB has always dealt with making player payments initially, before taking the money from the franchisees which is a major reason why Faulkner’s grievances are with the PCB rather than his franchise. According to sources PCB has deposited 70% of the payment in an account provided by Faulkner which he no longer uses (though it is still believed to be active), with the remaining 30% to be transferred 40 days after the conclusion. Faulkner has asked PCB to transfer his initial payment to another account but as per the PCB, the bank has declined the request for a refund of the initial money. It’s understood that Faulkner’s outburst at the hotel premises is the result of all the chaos created for payment.
James Faulkner’s franchise Quetta Gladiators has denied commenting on this matter by saying that Faulkner’s payment dispute was with the PCB. James Faulkner has played six PSL matches this season by scalping six wickets & 49 runs. Meanwhile, Quetta Gladiators are already out of the playoffs race after losing six out of nine matches. They are currently lagging at the second last position on the points table with six points in their kitty.