England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) on Tuesday said that it would cut down 62 jobs following a loss of over £100 m.
Earlier, the newly appointed ECB chief Ian Watmore had warned that the board could face a loss of over £200m in the next season. ECB Chief executive Tom Harrison had earlier proposed a pay-cut of 20% in order to cut short on the budget.
“Seven months ago, sharing a message of this nature was unthinkable,” Harrison said.
Initially, the board had projected a loss of £300m, however, they arranged an early schedule for England in the international cricket. The England cricket became the first Test-playing nation to resume cricket amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The ECB is also targeting a comeback of the women’s cricket team as early as possible so as to curb those losses. Therefore, West Indies women will play a five-match T20I series against England women in September.
The board is also working on staging ‘The Hundred’ that was postponed to 2021 due to COVID-19 pandemic.
“Getting cricket back on this summer – at a recreational, domestic and international level, for both men and women – has been a remarkable achievement by everyone across the game,” Harrison added.