Former Indian cricket team player Gautam Gambhir turned 39 on Wednesday.
A zealous and passionate player, Gambhir exhibited outstanding batting skills that led India to numerous victories.
On his birthday, let us take a quick glance on 5 of his most remarkable achievements to date:
- He is regarded as one of the finest batsmen ever produced by the country. In the quest to take home the World Cup trophy for the ‘Men in Blue’, Gauti stitched a memorable 97 off 122 balls that played a pivotal role in the 2011 World Cup victory for India. India won the title for the second time after their first triumph in 1983.
- For his exceptional performance in Test cricket, he was named as the ICC Test Player of the year in 2009 while also acquiring the No. 1 rank among batsmen, although for a short span.
- After Sir Vivian Richards, he is only the second to score 11 consecutive 50s.
- His record of being the only Indian cricketer to register 5 consecutive Test tons remains unbeaten to date.
- Finally, remembering his milepost moment in the 2007 T20 World Cup in which he contributed the most precious 77 runs of the match to clinch the title for the team.
Above all, he is the most selfless cricketer who did what he believed was the best for his team. And congratulating him on his special day wishes poured in from the cricket fraternity for the champion cricketer. The BCCI congratulated the topliner left-handed batsman on the social media platform Twitter, while his comrades Yuvraj Singh and Harbhajan Singh also wished their former teammate.
Gambhir played a total of 58 Tests, 147 ODIs and 37 T20Is scoring 4,154; 5,238 and 932 runs respectively.