Cricket Australia’s interim chief executive Nick Hockley has divulged that the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is paying for the quarantine stay of the Australian IPL players in Sydney.
The confirmation comes to light amid claims that the 38 Australian players and staff are being given preferential treatment after their return from Maldives. Hockey cleared the air around the claims and confirmed that the BCCI is indeed paying for the quarantine period of the players.
“Yes, BCCI at the outset committed to ensuring that they got home safely and as quickly as possible. We’ve been working closely with them. They’ve been fantastic. They’ve delivered on that promise,” the CA chief executive told The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald when questioned on the matter.
“Obviously our thoughts are with all of our friends in India. Then we’ve been working with the government, within the existing frameworks to make sure that they get home as quickly as possible. I know the players, having texted a few of them, are extremely appreciative of the BCCI and we’re really pleased that they’re home safely,” he added.
He further said that CA is ‘extremely appreciative’ of this gesture by the board and said that they are fulfilling their duties well.
“The BCCI are fulfilling on their commitments. They’ve made good on their promise and we’re extremely appreciative.”
The Australian IPL cricketers left India after the tournament had to be pigeonholed due to the rising cases of COVID-19 patients in India. The troop flew to Perth via the Maldives in a private flight on Saturday, following which they arrived in Sydney on Monday.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison was asked whether the cohort had asked for any ‘special dispensation and had received any, to which the minister had replied that they had been given none.