After months of showing discontentment over the SLC new contract policy, 18 players have reportedly agreed to sign the contract. With that the long standing disagreement between players and the Sri Lankan cricket board has come to an end. The new contracts will be in effect for a period of five months from August 1 to December 31.
Earlier, the contracts were laid out for as many as 24 players. However, six players namely Angelo Mathews, Danushka Gunathilaka, Niroshan Dickwella, Kusal Mendis, Isuru Udana and Kasun Rajitha have been left out. Gunathilaka, Dickwella and Mendis had all been handed bans since the contracts were initially proposed. Former Sri Lankan skipper, Angelo Mathews was down to him being unavailable for selection.
“The players were chosen under four categories and were nominated by the Selection Panel, based on a set of criteria such as Performance, Fitness, Leadership/Seniority, Professionalism/Code of Conduct, and Future/Adaptability,” the release said.
“The criteria and the allocation of points to individual players were shared among the players before they signed the contracts.”
The protesting cricketers had alleged that the SLC did not brief them properly over the new pay system and was trying to force them to sign the contracts. During the impasse, Sri Lankan players were offered tour contracts.
“The players signed the contracts without any deviation from the contracts offered previously,” SLC said in a media release.
The board informed that the Sri Lanka cricketers were picked under four categories and were nominated by the selection panel based on a set of criteria – Performance, Fitness, Leadership/Seniority, Professionalism/Code of Conduct, and Future/Adaptability.
For latest cricket news, follow Madovercricket!