In what comes as a piece of heartbreaking news for cricket fans all over the world, Cricket South Africa (CSA) has spoken up about AB de Villiers’ retirement stating the South African star all-rounder no longer has plans of making his comeback in the international circuit.
de Villiers had been hinting towards his return to the game for the past few months. The cricketer had opened up about his plans of returning to the international stage during the initial days of IPL 2021. Mr. 360 had said that he was in talks with South Africa head coach Mark Boucher to put an end to his retirement and play for Proteas again.
“Discussions with AB de Villiers have concluded with the batsman deciding once and for all, that his retirement will remain final,” CSA confirmed the final decision on AB de Villiers’ retirement to Cricbuzz on Tuesday.
AB de Villiers, who had announced his retirement from international cricket in 2018, was planning to play in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup this year to mark his comeback. He was also in a stupendous form in the IPL 2021, before the tournament had to be postponed due to the rising intensity of the COVID-19 crisis in India.
However, CSA has confirmed that after discussions, the board and the veteran player have come to the consensus that he will continue with his retirement and it was their final decision.
“We’re lined up to have a chat sometime during the IPL. But yes, we’ve been talking about it already,” de Villiers had said earlier about participating in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup.
“Last year, he (Boucher) asked me if I would be interested. I said, ‘absolutely’. And come to the end of the IPL, we’ll have a look at where we’re at with regards to my form and my fitness. Also, the situation with his team — he’s got to look at his guys who have been performing well … If there’s no space for me so be it. If I can slot in there, it’ll be fantastic if all those things fall in place,” he added.