DC vs KKR: Delhi Capitals jump to the top sport in IPL 2021 points table after defeating Kolkata Knight Riders by 7 wickets. Prithvi Shaw with his match-winning knock ensured DC dominated during the chase with a smoky 81-run knock of 82 runs.
Chasing down 155 runs, Prithvi Shaw gave DC a solid start starting from the first over itself when he smacked Shivam Mavi for six consecutive boundaries. Shaw displayed a flawless range of shots as he uncovered his range of drives towards cover.
As usual, KKR again failed to capitalize in the mandatory powerplay after losing Rahul Tripathi (19 runs) and Nitish Rana (15 runs) early. Shubman Gill returned in the flow of runs but found runs in a sluggish approach. Gill scored 43 runs off 38 balls before getting dismissed by Avesh Khan in the 13th over.
Skipper Eoin Morgan and Sunil Narine got out cheaply without even scoring a single run. However, birthday boy Andre Russell saved the day by hitting 45 runs off 27 balls and helping his side put 155/6 in 20 overs.
For Delhi Capitals, spinners Axar Patel (2/32) and Lalit Yadav (2/13) chipped in with a couple of wickets each and rattled KKR’s batting unit.
DC batsmen chased down the target in 16.3 overs with the in-form duo of Shaw and Dhawan putting an opening stand of 132 runs. The only pick among KKR bowlers was Pat Cummins who with his individual brilliance took all the three wickets of DC. He first dismissed Shaw who was batting on 82 runs and dealing only in boundaries, followed by Dhawan (46 runs) and Rishabh Pant (16 runs).
Shaw became the player of the match for orchestrating DC’s win and striking the ball at strike rate of 200+ throughout his inning. Delhi Capitals have now jumped to the second position with five wins in seven matches and 10 points on their name.
DC vs KKR Interesting facts & stats:
- Andre Russell scored 6000 runs in his T20 career during his knock of 45* runs.
- By taking the catch of Shubman Gill, Steve Smith completed 50 catches in the IPL.
- Prithvi Shaw became the first Indian batsman in IPL history to start an innings with six consecutive boundaries.
- Dhawan-Shaw duo now has the most number of runs in IPL 2021. (mention the number of runs and top 3 list)
- Shaw also hit the fastest half-century of IPL 2021. He reached his fifty off just 18 balls and also bettered Deepak Hooda’s record of 50 runs off 20 balls this season.
- Shikhar Dhawan becomes the first player in IPL 2021 to surpass 300 runs. Also becomes the orange cap holder (311 runs)
- Most runs in IPL
- 6041 Virat Kohli
- 5490 Shikhar Dhawan**
- 5489 Suresh Raina
- 5447 David Warner
- 5445 Rohit Sharma
- 5053 AB de Villiers
- Prithvi Shaw vs KKR
- 62(44) Delhi 2018
- 99(55) Delhi 2019
- 14(7) Kolkata 2019
- 66(41) Sharjah 2020
- 82(41) Ahmedabad 2021
For DC vs KKR match preview, Click here!