England’s white-ball series against Bangladesh, comprising three ODIs and three T20Is, has been postponed indefinitely, as per the latest reports. The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is in discussions with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to reschedule the upcoming home series. The series was originally scheduled for September and October this year.
The boards are yet to release an official statement to confirm the news. It is believed that the decision was taken by the BCB to give rest to its players, who have been playing without break for quite some time now, amid the taxing COVID-19 protocols. The board had hoped for the series to serve as part of their preparation for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, set to take place later this year.
BCB chief executive Nizamuddin Chowdhury told reporters that they are trying to reschedule the series to give rest to their players. He asserted that they would be arranging for the ODI games, part of the ICC World Cup Super League, to happen before the cut-off date. The increasing number of COVID-19 cases in Dhaka might be another possible reason for the board’s decision.
“We are in discussion with the England Cricket Board regarding rescheduling the upcoming series against England that is part of ICC Super League,” Chowdhury said. “As we are having a lot of international fixtures, the board is thinking of giving some rest to our cricketers. We will host (the series) before the cut off time of ICC Super League,” he said.
England’s white-ball series against Bangladesh getting postponed, England players are likely to feature in IPL
With England’s white-ball tour to Bangladesh getting postpones, it has opened doors for its players to feature in the UAE leg of the Indian Premier League. This comes as a great sign of relief for the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), which has been trying to tackle the problem of the unavailability of overseas players ahead of the resumption of the tournament.
While the participation of the players from New Zealand, South Africa, and the West Indies was confirmed, the participation of players from teams including Australia and England was not.
ECB’s managing director Ashley Giles had asserted their players would not be joining their franchises for the IPL. This proved to be worrisome for the IPL franchises as most England players form part of the core team of the franchises. However, the BCCI had been constantly in talks with the boards to arrange for the availability of the players.
Although England is due to play two T20Is against Pakistan in Karachi on October 14 and 15, it is highly likely that they will participate in the remaining games of IPL 2021, which is set to resume on September 19.
If reports are to be believed, the IPL-bound England players have privately confirmed their availability for the IPL.
“Even if the Bangladesh tour had gone ahead, some of the players had confirmed their availability. Even the Australians have agreed to come, but it could still change depending on what Cricket Australia says. But as things stand, everyone is available for the remaining of the IPL,” a franchise official told The New Indian Express.