IND vs SL 1st T20I: India demolished the visitors with a one-sided win by 62 runs in the first T20I at Lucknow on Thursday. The hosts were already the favorites ahead of the contest, especially when playing at home soil and against the likes of Sri Lanka.
It was a brilliant effort by the youngsters, especially Ishan Kishan, who opened the innings with skipper Rohit Sharma and scored his T20I career-best 89 runs off 56 balls. Due to his knock, India managed to pile a mammoth target of 200 runs in 20 overs for Sri Lanka. While Rohit departed for 44 off 32 deliveries, Shreyas Iyer joined the wagon and scored an unbeaten 57 runs off 28 deliveries.
The Indian batters had everything under their control, as they plundered and hammered every SL bowler. Sri Lanka obviously missed out on the services of their star campaigners Wanindu Hasaranga and Maheesh Theekshana owing to their respective health and injury concerns.
The Indian bowlers were equally destructive as they restricted the visitors to 137/6 in 20 overs and scripted a comfortable win for India. Bhuvneshwar Kumar finished as the most economical and successful bowler in the Indian lot with figures of 2/9 that included the crucial scalps of both the SL openers.
During the victory, Indian players also added laurels under their belt, by either making some records or breaking them. On that note, let’s have a look at some of them:
IND vs SL 1st T20I records made and broken:
- Rohit Sharma has now become the leading scorer in the T20Is with 3307 runs in 123 matches. He surpassed Martin Guptill (3299 runs) and fellow team mate Virat Kohli (3296 runs).
- Ishan Kishan’s 89 is the highest individual score by an Indian wicket-keeper in T20I.
- Rohit Sharma now has 10 consecutive wins in T20Is as Indian captain.
- Yuzvendra Chahal became the leading wicket taker for India in men’s T20 internationals with 67 wickets in 53 matches.
- The Indian skipper also has most number of wins in T20Is at home with 15 wins out of 16 matches.
- The win percentage of Rohit Sharma as a T20I captain is 84.61.