India vs Sri Lanka: The Sri Lankan team is all set to have a new skipper ahead of the upcoming home series against India, Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) confirmed on Thursday. All-rounder Dasun Shanaka will take over the role of new skipper after the side’s humiliating loss to England.
SLC has dropped the current skipper Kusal Perera and now decided to go with the new skipper in the form of all-rounder Dasun Shanaka.
The Lankan team has been struggling in its team consistency and finding the right skipper for the last few years. As at least nine players have enjoyed the captaincy role of the national team since 2017.
Dasun has already led Sri Lanka once in 2019 when the side defeated Pakistan 3-0 in Lahore. But that was the T20I series and leading the ODI team is will altogether be a new task for him. The 29-year-old has so far played 28 ODIs and scored 611 runs at an average of 26.57. While he has scalped 10 wickets at an economy rate of 5.78.
SLC has also appointed Dhananjaya De Silva as the Vice-captain of the side and will be the deputy of Shanaka for the India series.
India vs Sri Lanka squads:
India’s squad: Shikhar Dhawan (Captain), Prithvi Shaw, Devdutt Padikkal, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Suryakumar Yadav, Manish Pandey, Hardik Pandya, Nitish Rana, Ishan Kishan (Wicket-keeper), Sanju Samson (Wicket-keeper), Yuzvendra Chahal, Rahul Chahar, K Gowtham, Krunal Pandya, Kuldeep Yadav, Varun Chakravarthy, Bhuvneshwar Kumar (Vice-captain), Deepak Chahar, Navdeep Saini, Chetan Sakariya
Sri Lanka’s squad: To be announced.
- First ODI: July 13, at the R.Premadasa Stadium in Colombo (2:30 PM IST)
- Second ODI: July 16, at the R.Premadasa Stadium in Colombo (2:30 PM IST)
- Third ODI: July 18, at the R.Premadasa Stadium in Colombo (2:30 PM IST)
- First T20I: July 21, at the R.Premadasa Stadium in Colombo (7 PM IST)
- Second T20I: July 23, at the R.Premadasa Stadium in Colombo (7 PM IST)
- Third T20I: July 25, at the R.Premadasa Stadium in Colombo (7 PM IST)
Follow the latest updates on MadOverCricket!