IPL 2021 Eliminator, KKR vs RCB: The Kolkata Knight Riders on Monday came to another step closer towards sealing their spot in the IPL 2021 Final as they eliminate Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) to advance to the next stage of the Playoffs. With this victory, the boys in Purple and Gold have now earned the ticket to square off with Delhi Capitals in Qualifier 2 after qualifying the IPL 2021 Eliminator stage, which will decide who will play the ultimate game against Chennai Super Kings to win the dazzling IPL trophy.
The game put an end to Virat Kohli’s stint as the skipper of the franchise on a disappointing note for him, a role he was serving for the last decade, on a very forgettable note. Batting first, the Virat Kohli-led unit set up a humble total of 138 runs losing six wickets.
On the sluggish pitch of Sharjah, KKR was reliant on Sunil Narine and Varun Chakravarthy to pick up the crucial wickets and restrict the robust line-up of RCB. And Narine lived up to their expectations and how. He picked up all the most important wickets of the opponents, which led to their downfall. Srikar Bharat was his first hunt, followed by RCB skipper Virat Kohli, who played a reliable knock of 39 runs off 33 balls to stabilize the RCB inning. Power hitter Glenn Maxwell and Mr 360 degree both fell victim to his exploits, which ensured a rather humble target was set up for the team to chase.
RCB’s bowling was led by right-arm medium pacer Harshal Patel, who picked up two crucial wickets for the team to slow down their chase while ending the match as the leading wicket-taker of the season. He was supported by Yuzvendra Chahal and Mohammed Siraj, who relished two wickets each. However, their laudable efforts did little damage to the chasing unit as KKR’s collective efforts to breach the target bore the fruits.
Openers Shubman Gill and Venkatesh Iyer gave a solid start to KKR’s inning before Gill surrendered to Patel’s attacks. He scored 29 off 18 balls, while Iyer added26 runs to the chase. Sunil Narine, supported by Nitish Rana (23), weaved magic yet again and this time with his bat. He hammered 26 off 15 balls to speed up the process of victory. KKR completed the match on a humble note with skipper Eoin Morgan and Shakib Al Hasan completing the match with a single.
Sunil Narine received the much-deserved Player of the Match title for his heroics with both the bat and ball. KKR will be locking horns with the Delhi Capitals next to decide their future in the tournament on October 13.
IPL 2021 Eliminator, KKR vs RCB Stats and Facts
- Virat Kohli became the 2nd Indian batsman to hit 900 fours in T20 cricket. Shikhar Dhawan is the first Indian with 986* fours under his belt. Overall, Kohli ranks 7th in the list of the most fours in T20 cricket. Chris Gayle tops the list with a mammoth number of 1105* fours to his name.
- KKR all-rounder Sunil Narine is the first ever player to hit 3 sixes off his first 3 balls in an IPL innings.
- RCB bowler Mohammed Shami, who was plaayiog his 50th IPL game, completed 100 wickets in T20 cricket after clinching two wickets today and also completed 50 wickets in IPL.
- Most Top-scores for the team in IPL Losses:- 27: Virat Kohli*, 23: David Warner, 23: Shikhar Dhawan,, 21: Rohit Sharma 21: Robin Uthappa.
- Scalping two wickets in the game, RCB’s Harshal Patelhas bagged the Purple Cap for this season by totalling his tally of wickets to 32. He joins Dwayne Bravo’s record of most wickets in a single edition of the IPL.
- Sunil Narine is now the first ever player with 4+ wicket hauls thrice against a team in IPL. His figures read: 4/22 v RCB at Ranchi in 2013, 4/20 v RCB at Kolkata in 2014, and 4/21 v RCB at Sharjah in 2021.
Brief Scores: Kolkata Knight Riders 139/6 (Shubman Gill 29, Sunil Narine 26; Yuzvendra Chahal 2/16) beat Royal Challengers Bangalore 138/7 (Virat Kohli 39, Devdutt Padikkal 21; Sunil Narine 4/21) by 4 wickets.
Get all the latest IPL 2021 news, IPL 2021 Points Table, IPL schedule, Cricket match Highlights, Match Report, IPL ball by ball updates live score, IPL live commentary, IPL live cricket match updates on MadOverCricket