IPL 2021 Qualifier 1, CSK vs DC: Chennai Super Kings (CSK) skipper MS Dhoni cranked a magnificent finishing four as CSK edged out Delhi Capitals (DC) in the first Qualifier match of IPL 2021 in Dubai on Sunday. The MS Dhoni-led outfit pulled off a thrilling feat by beating the table-toppers by four wickets as they glided their way into their ninth finals of the twelve editions of the tournament so far.
Batting first, Rishabh Pant and Co. set up a challenging target of 173 runs losing five wickets. They made a solid start as Prithvi Shaw top-scored for the team as he played a brilliant knock of 60 runs in 34 balls. Skipper Rishabh Pant made another major contribution by adding another 51 runs to the scorecard. Shimron Heytmer played a reliable knock of 34. But all their efforts were rendered in vain by the Qualifiers in 19.4 overs.
Josh Hazelwood took two crucial wickets which ensured DC was restricted to as low as the target could go, bagging wickets of Shikhar Dhawan and Shreyas Iyer.
Ruturaj Gaikwad has established himself as the MVP of CSK as he went on to charm with his indisputable class performance. The opener played a blistering knock of 70 runs off 50 balls and helped the team gain control of the match. CSK’s decision to promote senior player Robin Uthappa to the No. 3 position played a climacteric role in their chase as he hammered 63 runs off 44 balls to turn the tides for them when CSK seemed to lose grip of the match. He stitched 110 runs with Gaikwad for the second wicket. Gaikwad crossed 600 runs in IPL 2021.
Tom Curran put in great efforts as he took three wickets to disrupt CSk’s chase. Unfortunately for them, it all went in vain.
Skipper MS Dhoni gave the perfect finishing touches to their enthralling chase and smashed three boundaries and one six to seal the victory as he remaind unbeaten at 18 runs.
DC has, however, not been completely eliminated from the race towards the title as they still have one last chance remaining, keeping their hopes high for the next Qualifier round.
IPL 2021 Qualifier 1, CSK vs DC important Stats and Facts
- Rishabh Pant is the youngest captain to lead an IPL team into the Playoffs.
- 2. CSK captain Dhoni has scored the most runs (583) in the Chennai vs Delhi fixtures.
- Most times scoring 10 or 10+ runs in 20th Over in a Successful run-chase (IPL): 7 – MS Dhoni*, 4 – Kieron Pollard, 4 – Dwayne Bravo, 2 – Rohit Sharma, 2 – Ravindra Jadeja, 2 – Steven Smith.
- Among captains, MS Dhoni has led his team to the finals most number of times, nine: The list includes 9 – Dhoni, 5 – Rohit, 2 – Gambhir.
- CSK has won all of the last 9 matches while chasing.
- CSK In IPL:- 2008 – Runner-up. 2009 – Semi-finalist. 2010 – Champion. 2011 – Champion. 2012 – Runners-up. 2013 – Runners-up. 2014 – Playoffs. 2015 – Runners-up. 2018 – Champion. 2019 – Runners-up. 2020 – League stage. 2021* – Qualified for Final. 9 Finals in 12 Seasons.
- Most Player of the Match Awards in IPL 2021: 4 – Ruturaj Gaikwad*, 3 – Glenn Maxwell, 3 – Kl Rahul, 3 – Kieron Pollard.
- Players to win most Player of the Match awards in the IPL in the UAE: 6 – Ruturaj Gaikwad*, 5 – Glenn Maxwell, 5 – KL Rahul
- Interestingly, most Player of the Match award in IPL since 2020 have been bagged by Gaikwad. He has seven Man of the Match awards from just 21 innings in IPL history: Most Man of the Match in IPL: 7 – Ruturaj Gaikwad*, 6 – KL Rahul, 5 – ABD
- DC in IPL Playoffs / Semi’s : vs teams (other than SRH): Played – 8 Lost – 8*
- Most not-outs in successful IPL chases:- 25 – MS Dhoni, 25 – Ravindra Jadeja, 22 – Yusuf Pathan, 19 – Dwayne Bravo, 19 – AB de Villiers, 19 – Suresh Raina.
- Faf du Plessis and Ruturaj Gaikwad are the first-ever pair of openers with both scoring five or more fifty-plus scores for the same IPL team in a season.
- Gaikwad is the third CSK player in the history of IPL to register 600+ runs in a season. The elite list includes 1. Mike Hussey- 733 runs at 59 in 2013, 2. Ambati Rayudu- 602 runs at 43 in 2018, 3. Ruturaj Gaikwad- 603* at 46.38 in 2021. Furthermore, he is just 23 runs away from claiming the orange cap of this season.
Brief Scores: Chennai Super Kings 173 for 6 (Gaikwad 70, Uthappa 63*, T Curran 3-29) beat Delhi Capitals 172 for 5 (Shaw 60, Pant 51*, Hazlewood 2-29) by four wickets
Get all the latest IPL 2021 news, IPL 2021 Points Table, IPL schedule, Cricket match Highlights, Match Report, IPL ball by ball updates live score, IPL live commentary, IPL live cricket match updates on MadOverCricket