KKR vs MI, IPL 2021, Match 34: Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) are in fiery form as they crushed the defending champions Mumbai Indians (MI) to register a comprehensive victory by seven wickets.
Even though MI skipper Rohit Sharma was back in the playing XI after missing out on the game against the Chennai Super Kings, he couldn’t help deflect their second consecutive defeat after the resumption of IPL 2021 in the UAE.
Winning the toss, the Eoin Morgan-led side chose to field first and the bowlers did a fine job at restricting the opponents to a modest total of 155 runs at the loss of six wickets. Rohit Sharma was the first to fall in the 10th over as Sunil Narine removed him with his impressive bounce, which led him to get caught off on the edge of the boundary. It was the ninth time that Narine took the wicket of Sharma in the T20s. Sharma played a knock of 33 runs, completing 1000 runs against a single franchise in the IPL.
Prasidh Krishna and Lokie Ferguson clinched two wickets each. Krishna removed MI’s top-scorer Quinton de Kock (55) and the in-form Suryakumar Yadav, which played an instrumental role in ensuring a chasable target. On the other hand, Ferguson removed Kieron Pollard and Ishan Kishan.
It was a piece of cake for the KKR batsmen to chase the given target. While Shubman Gill retired at the hands of Jasprit Bumrah after contributing 18 runs, this season’s debutant Venkatesh Iyer, who was impressed in the clash against the Royal Challengers Bangalore, held the fort for the team and smashed a half-century. Rahul Tripathi stole the show as he played an unbeaten knock of 74 runs to help the team register their second consecutive victory in the second phase of IPl 2021.
With this victory of the KKR vs MI clash, KKR has ascended to the fourth position in the IPL 2021 Points Table, while the Mumbai Indians have slipped to the sixth position.
KKR vs MI, Match 34 Stats & Facts:
- Mumbai Indians skipper Rohit Sharma became the first player to complete more than 1000 runs against a particular team in the IPL. He was at 982 runs registered against KKR before the game on Thursday. The batter added 33 runs in the match to surpass his tally of 1000 runs.
- This is the second instance an opponent team chasing a target of 150+ against Mumbai Indians has won it this easily, sparing 40+ balls. KKR won the game with 48 balls to spare. The last time a team won this conveiniently against the team was back in 2008 when Deccan Chargers (155/0 in 12 overs) won by 10 wickets chasing MI’s 154/7.
- This is the first time Trent Boult has conceded two sixes in the first over of his IPL career in the same match. has 10 wickets in all whenever he has bowled the first over of an innings in the IPL. In this game he conceded his fifth sixth. This is the first time he is conceding two sixes in the first over of his IPL career in the same match. The five sixes have come from these batsmen:
Chris Gayle in 2015 (3rd ball of the over)
KL Rahul in 2018 (4th ball)
Jonny Bairstow in 2020 (3rd ball)
Shubnam Gill in 2021 (2nd ball)
Venkatesh Iyer in 2021 (4th ball)
- The game saw 50 wickets fall in IPL 2021 (in the UAE) so far.
Most wickets tally:
9 wkts: in the 20th over
4 wkts: in overs 6th, 12th, 19th
2 wkts: in overs 3rd, 10th, 17th
Fewest wickets tally:
0 wkts: 4th, 7th
1 wkt: 8th, 18th
During Powerplay: 13
- Jasprit Bumrah now has the most three-wicket hauls in the IPL 2021 in the UAE. He has six three-wicket hauls. The second and the third most three-wicket haul this season (in UAE) so far are by Kagiso Rabada (5) and Mohammed Shami (4).
- Sunil Narine has dismissed Rohit Sharma the most number of times now. Bowlers Dismissing Rohit in IPL (most times) include:
9 – Narine*
7 – Mishra
6 – Vinay
5 – Bravo
- Most runs against an opponent in IPL
1003 – Rohit vs KKR*
943 – Warner vs PBKS
915 – Warner vs KKR
909 – Kohli vs DC
895 – Kohli vs CSK
Get all the latest IPL 2021 news, IPL 2021 Points Table, IPL schedule, Cricket match Highlights, Match Report, IPL ball by ball updates live score, IPL live commentary, IPL live cricket match updates on MadOverCricket