South Africa’s head coach Mark Boucher on Wednesday finally spoke on the ongoing buzz of AB de Villiers’ comeback to international cricket. There was a huge hype on AB de Villiers’ return to the national team following Cricket South Africa’s open offer.
The board said that the doors are always open for de Villiers, who retired from international cricket in May 2018. It came as a major setback for South Africa just a year before the 2019 World Cup.
Yesterday, Cricket South Africa (CSA) also announced the squad for the upcoming West Indies and Ireland tour. While the fans expected de Villiers’ name, they were shocked over not seeing his name in neither of the squads.
CSA also confirmed that via a tweet stating: “AB de Villiers finalises international retirement. Discussions with AB de Villiers have concluded with the batsman deciding once and for all, that his retirement will remain final”
Mark Boucher, who once played with De Villiers before retiring from the game, opined that the latter was not comfortable in making comeback. Boucher had been in regular talks with the all-rounder discussing his comeback plans.
“AB has his reasons, which I respect. Unfortunately, he’s no longer in the mix. I say unfortunately because I think we all agree that he’s still one of the best, if not the best T20 player in world cricket,” Boucher said.
“But he alluded to being concerned about coming in ahead of other players who have been a part of the system. I don’t think it sat well with him, which I understand. But as a coach, I needed to try and get our best players, for the team and the environment” he added.
Despite retirement, de Villiers had offered to play for SA in the 2019 World Cup. However, CSA turned down his offer of return.