England fast bowler Ollie Robinson has been cleared to play cricket after the Cricket Discipline commission announced its decision on Saturday. After a hearing on 30 June, the panel has come to a decision to suspend the English pacer for eight games. Five out of those eight games will be suspended for 2 years.
The decision came in the wake of historic offensive tweets made by Ollie Robinson between 2012 and 2014, when the English pacer was aged between 18 and 20. All those tweets surfaced on social media on June 2, which led to England Cricket Board suspending the bowler for the second Test against New Zealand.
“As regards the three matches which are the subject of immediate suspension, the Panel has taken into account the suspension imposed by the England Team from the second LV= Insurance Men’s Test against New Zealand, together with two of the Vitality Blast T20 matches from which Robinson voluntarily withdrew himself from selection for Sussex CCC due to the impact of these proceedings.
“Robinson is, therefore, free to play cricket immediately.”
Although the panel has lifted the ban imposed on the 27-year old, it has fined him £3,200 for the offence.
The decision would mean that Robinson is cleared to play in England’s next Test series against India, starting 4th August 2021. After hearing the panel’s decision, Robinson said, “I am deeply sorry for the hurt I caused to anyone who read those tweets and in particular to those people to whom the messages caused offence. This has been the most difficult time in my professional career for both my family and myself”
“I fully accept the CDC’s decision,” Robinson said. “As I have said previously, I am incredibly embarrassed and ashamed about the tweets I posted many years ago and apologise unreservedly for their contents.”