Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden, remarking on Ollie Robinson suspension that the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has gone “over the top” in punishing Ollie Robinson.
“Ollie Robinson’s tweets were offensive and wrong. They are also a decade old and written by a teenager. That teenager is now a man and has rightly apologised. The English and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has gone over the top by suspending him and should think again,” read Dowden’s social media statement over Ollie Robinson suspension.
After an eight-year old Tweet by the Sussex player resurfaced, which was found to be racist and sexist, ECB handed over suspension to Ollie Robinson from international matches.
The pacer, who made his Test debut in the first match of the England vs New Zealand ongoing Test series, has also been excluded from the 2nd Test.
While ECB’s investigation on the Tweets he posted between 2012 and 2013 while he was still a teenager is still underway, Robinson will only be allowed to play for Sussex.
The 27-year old “unreservedly” apologized for the same, after his Tweets were discovered by the ECB. He said he was “ashamed” of the offensive Tweets he made back then.
“I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist. I deeply regret my actions, and I am ashamed of making such remarks. I was thoughtless and irresponsible, and regardless of my state of mind at the time, my actions were inexcusable. Since that period, I have matured as a person and fully regret the tweets,” Robinson said.
Commenting on the pacer’s apology England Test captain Joe Root said after the conclusion of the first Test: “From a performance point of view, on the field, he’s had an exceptional debut. With regards to the stuff that has happened off the field, it’s not acceptable within our game – we all know that.
“He has dealt with a huge array of emotions over this last week and he has got to learn some hard lessons. He addressed the dressing room, and media outlets, straight away, he fronted up to it. He showed a lot of remorse from that point onwards.”
Robinson made an impressive debut in the first Test between England and New Zealand at the Lord’s. In his debut Test that concluded on Sunday, Ollie Robinson ended up with 7 wickets in two innings. He scalped 4 for 75 in twenty-eight overs in the first innings and 3 for 26 in fourteen overs in the second innings.
The match ended in a draw after New Zealand declared the innings at 169/6. The second Test is set to start from June 2 at Edgbaston.