RCB vs CSK, Match 35, IPL 2021: The desire of Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) to turn the tides for themselves were crushed by the Chennai Super Kings (CSK) on Friday as they registered a remarkable six-wicket victory in the 35th match of the IPL in Sharjah. It was the seventh consecutive defeat for RCB in the UAE.
Captain Virat Kohli opened the batting for RCB with a confident frame of mind. He gave them a promising start by hammering 53 runs before he fell victim to Dwayne Bravo’s attack while trying to whip a flick and getting caught at the boundary by Ravindra Jadeja. RCB’s shieldbearer Devdutt Paddikal stitched a 100-run partnership with captain Kohli and top-scored for the team hitting 70 runs. However, that still did not prove to be enough for the team as the remaining batting line-up melted down easily against the CSK bowlers.
Bravo was in excellent form and led the charge for CSK as he picked up three wickets for the team and played a pivotal role in restricting Bangalore to a chasable 156-run total. Shardul Thakur picked up two wickets, while Deepak Chahar relished one wicket.
CSK chased down the target in 18.1 overs, with six wickets to spare. An explosive partnership by openers Ruturaj Gaekwad (38) and Faf du Plessis (31) set the tone for the team. The partnership was destroyed in the ninth over as Yuzvendra Chahal dismissed Gaekwad. du Plessis joined him in the pavilion soon after and handed over the responsibility of breaching the target to next in line Moeen Ali and Ambati Rayudu.
Ali and Rayudu combinedly added 47 runs to help the CSK’s cause and put them in a safe position. Suresh Raine and captain MS Dhoni gave the finishing touches to the remaining game by stitching an unbeaten 24-run partnership.
The victory has added two points to CSK’s pockets and placed them atop the IPL 2021 Points Table. RCB rests in the third spot in the IPL 2021 Points Table with five wins in nine matches so far.
RCB vs CSK Stats & Facts
- Virat Kohli missed 10,000 runs in T20 by 13 runs. He needed 66 runs for achieving the milestone. However, he got out on 53 runs.
- Devdutt Padikkal completed his 6th IPL fifty and hundred run partnership for the opening wicket with Kohli. He has been consistent for RCB since the last two seasons.
- This was the first time Dwayne Bravo dismissed Kohli in IPL. Both the players have previously faced each other 23 times since 2009.
- With this victory, CSK became the team to register the most wins over RCB. Teams to register most wins vs RCB:
18 – CSK*
17 – MI
15 – KKR
15 – PBKS
- Bravo now has 14 three wicket hauls in IPL.
19 – Malinga
17 – Mishra
15 – Bumrah
14 – Bravo*
14 – Nehra
14 – Umesh
- Highest Partnership vs CSK (by RCB)
111 – Padikkal/Kohli*
109 – Gayle/Kohli
103 – De Kock/ABD
- Virat Kohli registered the most 50+ scores against CSK. Most 50+ Scores vs CSK in IPL:
9 – Kohli*
8 – Dhawan
7 – Rohit
7 – Warner
5 – Watson
5 – Gambhir
- Faf du Plessis smashed the third most runs in IPL 2021. He has aggregated 351 runs so far. Shikhar Dhawan of Delhi Capitals is the current Orange Cap holder with 422 runs so far, followed by Punjab Kings’ KL Rahul (380).
Brief Scores: Chennai Super Kings (RuturaJ Gaikwad 38, Ambati Rayudu 32; Harshal Patel 2/25) beat Royal Challengers Bangalore 156/6 (Devdutt Padikkal 70, Virat Kohli 53; Dwayne Bravo 3/24) by six wickets.
Get all the latest IPL 2021 news, IPL 2021 Points Table, IPL schedule, Cricket match Highlights, Match Report, IPL ball by ball updates live score, IPL live commentary, IPL live cricket match updates on MadOverCricket