RCB vs RR: Royal Challengers Bangalore continued their winning streak in the ongoing IPL 2021 after a domineering win by 10 wickets. In a battle of Royals derby, it was a pure class of batting from Devdutt Padikkal and Virat Kohli in their fourth win of the season.
Padikkal scored his maiden century of the IPL and also became the first player to score a hundred in the ongoing season.
Atypical of Virat Kohli winning the toss, as he decided to bowl first against the Rajasthan Royals. But it was a usual show of fierce pace from Mohammad Siraj, who picked up the first wicket for his side in the form of Jos Buttler.
That followed by the next three wickets until the 8th over when RR bruised at 43/4 after losing skipper Sanju Samson (21 runs). It was then a sturdy batting display from Shivam Dube, who scored 46 runs and sailed his team over the 100-run mark. Rajasthan Royals somehow managed a total of 177/9 in 20 overs after a remarkable comeback in the death overs.
Harshal Patel (3/47) and Mohammad Siraj (3/27) were the stars among the bowlers by picking three scalps each. The duo not only shared six wickets, they literally broke the spine of RR’s batting lineup.
Chasing down 178 runs, openers Virat Kohli and Devdutt Padikkal ensured the two-pronged attack both defensively and offensively. While Kohli kept taking singles, Padikkal gave a magnificent show of diverse shots all over the ground.
Padikkal hit 11 boundaries and six sixes while reaching the milestone of his maiden century (101* runs off 52 balls) of the tournament. On the other hand, Virat Kohli also celebrated his accolade by reaching the milestone of 6000 runs in the history of the tournament.
The skipper scored 72 runs off 47 balls and also hit six boundaries and three sixes in his winning knock. The duo also put the highest-opening stand by an IPL team this season.
RCB vs RR Talking points:
- Devdutt Padikkal scored his maiden century- 101 runs off 52 balls. He also became the youngest player (20-year-old) in the history of the tournament to do so.
- Padikkal maintained a strike rate of over 200 in all parts of his innings, even while reaching his century.
- Virat Kohli reached the milestone of 6000 runs in the tournament. Also became the first player in IPL to do so.
- Kohli also has the most number of runs in the tournament. He now has 6021 runs, followed by Suresh Raina (5448 runs) and Rohit Sharma (5428 runs)
- Royal Challengers Bangalore also registered their fourth consecutive win in the starting phase of the tournament, the first time in IPL.
- RCB put the highest opening stand (181 runs), the highest by any team in IPL 2021.
- RCB also climb to the top spot in the points table of IPL 2021.
- Harshal Patel (12 wickets) is now the Purple cap holder following his three-wicket haul.
- Mohammad Siraj has the most number of dot balls (53 balls) this season.
Also check out some more interesting head to head stats here!