South African players who are a part of the forthcoming Test series against Sri Lanka have all tested negative for COVID-19. The entire South African contingent had been put under quarantine after two players had tested positive of COVID-19 last week.
Those two players were released from the squad as they headed back home after the Tests conducted on Wednesday and Thursday.
“Cricket South Africa (CSA) is pleased to report that the entire Proteas team has returned negative results from the COVID-19 tests that were conducted upon their entry into the Bio-Secure Environment yesterday ahead of the two-match Test series against Sri Lanka starting on Saturday, 26 December,” the CSA said in a statement.
The board had also named three additional players Raynard van Tonder, all-rounder Dwaine Pretorius, and seamer Lutho Cipalma as the COVID-19 replacements.
After the successful COVID-19 tests, the players are now allowed to train in full strength for the first Test starting on the Boxing Day from December 26.
“The players will no longer form part of the Test team and will observe the COVID-19 protocols, including isolating with immediate effect. CSA’s medical team will monitor them to ensure their health and well-being. CSA can also confirm that no other players in the currently named squad were deemed close contacts after contact tracing procedures were conducted,” the CSA said.
South Africa’s Test squad:
Quinton de Kock (captain), Temba Bavuma, Aiden Markram, Faf du Plessis, Beuran Hendricks, Dean Elgar, Keshav Maharaj, Lungi Ngidi, Rassie van der Dussen, Sarel Erwee, Anrich Nortje, Glenton Stuurman, Wiaan Mulder, Keegan Petersen, Kyle Verreynne, Migael Pretorius, Dwaine Pretorius, Lutho Sipamla, Raynard van Tonder. (ANI)