SRH vs RR: The SunRisers Hyderabad (SRH) ruined Rajasthan Royals’ (RR) opportunity of breaking into the top four by finally scripting their second victory in the 40th match of the IPL 2021 in Dubai. Kane Williamson brought in his first victory as a captain in the tournament.
Opting to bat first, Rajasthan Royals set up a decent target of 165 runs, courtesy of captain Sanju Samson’s spectacular 82 runs knock off 57 deliveries. He completed a fifty-run stand with Yashasvi Jaiswal (36) before he was dismissed by Sandeep Sharma in the ninth over. The RR skipper then joined forces with Mahipal Lomror and stitched an 84-run partnership with him. However, his efforts were effectively trampled upon by SRH.
Debutant Jason Roy stole the show as he commandeered the chase for SRH and hammered a magnificent 60 runs off 42 balls. He gave an explosive start to the innings of the team along with Wriddhiman Saha (18). Although Saha’s time on the field was cut short by Lomror, who dismissed him in the sixth over.
Skipper Williamson then took charge and played an unbeaten magnificent 51-run knock, and with the assistance of Roy and Abhishek Sharma (21) and helped the team record a convincing victory.
The defeat robbed RR the chance of taking a two-point lead over the Kolkata Knight Riders, Punjab Kings, and defending champions Mumbai Indians. They now rest on the sixth position in the IPL 2021 Points Table.
SRH vs RR Stats & Facts
- Sanju Samson breached the 400 run mark this season while also completing 3000 runs in IPL.
- Jason Roy became only the second player after Shikhar Dhawan to score 50+ runs on IPL debut for SunRisers Hyderabad. Shikhar Dhawan was the first one to do so in 2013.
- Jason Roy scored more runs than his previous four seasons of IPL combined.
- SRH registered their highest Powerplay score in IPL 2021 in the 40th match of their tournament.
- The match saw Rajasthan Royals have the most expensive Powerplay this season.
- RR have never won both league games vs SRH in the IPL history. In 2018, SRH won both games and in remaining seasons, both teams won 1 each.
- Samson’s 82 runs knock in the clash against SRH made him the highest rungetter against the team with 615 runs in his runs bank. He is followed by Shane Watson (566 runs) and Virat Kohli (564) runs against the franchise.
- Sanju Samson vs SRH (since 2018):
- SRH registered their highest run-chase in the tournament since 2020. Interestingly, it was their second-highest run-chase since 2019 and third-highest since 2018.
- It was Kane Williamson’s 1st win as captain in the IPL
2018 : Came against RR
2019 : Came against RR
2021 : Came against RR*
- Sanju Samson scripted the highest average as Captain in IPL :
61.85 Sanju Samson
56.37 KL Rahul
48.14 David Warner
(Min 10 innings)
Brief Scores: Sunrisers Hyderabad 167/3 (Jason Roy 60, Kane Williamson 51*; Mahipal Lomror 1/22) beat Rajasthan Royals 164/6 (Sanju Samson 82, Yashasvi Jaiswal 36; Siddarth Kaul 2/36) by 7 wickets.
Get all the latest IPL 2021 news, IPL 2021 Points Table, IPL schedule, Cricket match Highlights, Match Report, IPL ball by ball updates live score, IPL live commentary, IPL live cricket match updates on MadOverCricket