Cricket Ireland has added North West Warriors head coach and current international Gary Wilson and Wilson’s Warriors assistant coach William Porterfield as two additional coaches in Ireland’s support staff for the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in the UAE and Oman. Both of them joined the squad on Tuesday (September 28), which is currently in hotel quarantine in Dubai.
Both of them were hired as the consultant coaches for the national team earlier this year. Wilson is retired from the game, on the hand, Porterfield is an active player but has not played in any T20I for the team in over three years.
Ireland’s T20 World Cup bowling coach Ryan Eagleson also flew to Dubai today after successfully coaching the Ireland Under-19s Men’s side to world cup qualification on Sunday in Almeria, Spain.
All the coaches are to undergo a six-day mandatory hotel quarantine on arrival in Dubai. The preparation camp for the tournamnet will commence from October 1.
ICC Men’s T20 World Cup complete fixtures of Ireland
Pre-T20 World Cup – preparation period
• 5 October 2021: Ireland v Scotland – warm-up match (ICC Academy Oval 2; start 9 am local time)
• 7 October 2021: Ireland v UAE – 1st T20I (ICC Academy Oval 1; start 9 am local time)
• 8 October 2021: Ireland v UAE – 2nd T20I (ICC Academy Oval 1; start 9 am local time)
• 10 October 2021: Ireland v UAE – 3rd T20I (ICC Academy Oval 1; start 9 am local time)
Official T20 World Cup warm-up matches
• 12 October 2021: Ireland v Papua New Guinea – warm-up T20I (Abu Dhabi; start 2 pm local time)
• 14 October 2021: Ireland v Bangladesh – warm-up T20I (Abu Dhabi; start 6 pm local time)
T20 World Cup – Round 1
• 18 October 2021: Ireland v Netherlands (Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium, Abu Dhabi; starts 10 am GMT)
• 20 October 2021: Ireland v Sri Lanka (Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium, Abu Dhabi; starts 2 pm GMT)
• 22 October 2021: Ireland v Namibia (Sharjah Cricket Stadium, Sharjah; starts 10 am GMT)
The top two teams from Round 1 go into the Group Stage. Details about the tournament, Group Stage fixtures and venues can be found here.
Cricket Ireland recently announced their 18-player preliminary squad for the showpiece event. The squad will be pruned to 15 players for the T20 World Cup tournament. The squad will be travelling to the UAE with three reserve players.
Andrew Balbirnie (c), Mark Adair, Curtis Campher, Gareth Delany, George Dockrell, Shane Getkate, Graham Kennedy, Josh Little, Andrew McBrine, Barry McCarthy, Kevin O’Brien, Neil Rock, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker, Ben White, Craig Young.